Legendary local pub, Tuckers Grave Inn, was built in the mid 17th Century near the burial site of a local farm worker Edward Tucker who, on 5th June 1747, hung himself in a barn a few miles away. At that time, suicides were not permitted to be buried on hallowed ground but were to be buried in unmarked graves usually at a cross roads, supposedly so the soul would be confused & not find its way to Heaven. Edward Tucker was buried on the crossroads near the site of what was then a farmhouse, lending accommodation to local farm workers.
In September 1827, the building was originally granted its full license to sell "bread and other victuals, beer, ale and other liquors" to a Joseph Rossitor and as the business began to grow so did the local legend of Tuckers Grave Inn.
Ivan continued with his job as a lorry driver whilst Glenda took over the running of the pub for the next 27 years. Sadly, Ivan fell ill in 2011 and following the failure to sell the pub, Glenda took the difficult decision to close Tuckers Grave Inn on 31st May 2011. To the delight of the local community, Glenda re-opened a few months later & continued to run the pub with the help of her friends & loyal customers.
In the late 1930's the tenancy was taken over by Jimmy & Margery Wilson along with a few acres of land & in the 1950's the Wilson's bought the pub & adjoining land from Lord Hylton's Estate.
Following Mr Wilson's death, Mrs Wilson continued to the run the pub on her own until 1984, at which point Glenda Swift, who was a family friend of the Wilsons since childhood and her husband Ivan, took over at the helm.