Cider connoisseurs: You'll find this Inn most sweet indeed.
Tuckers Grave Inn is a traditional cider house and one of the oldest in Somerset.
Its doors first opened to thirsty travellers over 200 years ago, its steeped in local history, preserved in time and pickled in cider.
Mon - Wed: 5pm - 10pm
Thurs: 12am - 3pm & 5pm - 10pm
Frid - Sat: 12am - 11pm
Sun:12am - 9pm
Somerset’s best kept secret
There’s something quite unique about this humble little pub, having no actual bar makes it one of only 6 left in the country, ale casks are stacked on a stillage in an alcove, tapped, spiled and poured directly into your glass.
Its remained practically unchanged since WW1 with original Georgian features including wooden paneled pews and the earliest pub lettering in the country, it’s grade 1 listed and on the national inventory of historic interiors.
You’ll find no TVs, flashing fruit machines or noisy jukeboxes here just a friendly and lively vibe with a community of locals and visitors.
Outside the amazing beer garden with its beautiful countryside views is the perfect place to absorb the real taste of Somerset and for those who want to linger longer there is a choice of camping or air bnb.
Tuckers Grave Inn really does offer the best that English rustic charm has to offer and the perfect base for exploring the delights of Somerset.
Legendary local pub, Tuckers Grave Inn, was built in the mid 17th Century near the burial site of a local farm worker Edward Tucker who, on 5th June 1747, hung himself in a barn a few miles away. At that time, suicides were not permitted to be buried on hallowed ground but were to be buried in unmarked graves usually at a cross roads, supposedly so the soul would be confused and not find its way to Heaven.
Edward Tucker was buried on the crossroads near the site of what was then a farmhouse, lending accommodation to local farm workers.
In September 1827, the building was originally granted its full license to sell "bread and other victuals, beer, ale and other liquors" to a Joseph Rossitor and as the business began to grow so did the local legend of Tuckers Grave Inn.
In the late 1930's the tenancy was taken over by Jimmy and Margery Wilson along with a few acres of land and in the 1950's the Wilson's bought the pub and adjoining land from Lord Hylton's Estate.
Following Mr Wilson's death, Mrs Wilson continued to the run the pub on her own until 1984, at which point Glenda Swift, who was a family friend of the Wilsons since childhood and her husband Ivan, took over at the helm.
Glenda retired in 2017 when the pub was taken over by a local family and so the story continues.....
In 2004 British punk band The Stranglers wrote a song dedicated to its history, the band are still returning customers.
As Tuckers Grave has been serving real ale and cider for nearly 200 years we know how to pour a good pint